Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why Can't We Stay In Malé Instead Of Colombo?!

The last trip before my leave was to Colombo in Sri Lanka via Malé in the Maldives. I managed to get a seat in the flightdeck for landing into Malé and the views were breathtaking. I think I'm going to have to tell Pierre were not going to have time to go to Lebanon as this is definately a place I want to be visiting soon! After our hour on the ground in Malé it was time to leave for Colombo. The airport is surrounded by the army in gun turrets to protect it from the rebel fighters! The city reminded me of Bangkok and I do not think I would choose to visit of my own account. Most of my time was spent resting although we did manage a quick trip to a shopping mall to pick up some cheap DVDs.
The view of the first atolls as we entered the Maldives.
This is the resort that I want to stay at. It looks amazing and has a line of huts that sit just on top of the water.
The capital of the Maldives, Malé.
Malé from the flightdeck just before we landed.
Coming into land at Malé International Airport.
A seaplane taking off from the airport. Tourists are transferred to the resorts by seaplane.
This is the hotel near the airport where we stay on a 12 hour layover.
The shops we saw on the way to the hotel.





The hotel we stayed in.
The view of Colombo from my room.
Looking the other way.
The shopping centre we visited.
They serve KFC on a plate in Sri Lanka!
The tuktuk that Roxanne (Hong Kong) and I caught back to the hotel. You can see Roxanne in the tuktuk's mirror.
One of the gun turrets near the airport.
Inside Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport.

No comments: