Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tunisia - The Capital Of Rip Offs

I don't know what it is about Tunisia but every person the crew met tried to rip us off. Even the hotel we were staying at wouldn't give us our discounts until we made a fuss. Taxi drivers would make the fare extra if there was more that one person in the car. We tested if the shopkeepers would charge locals less. An arabic speaking crew member went into a shop and asked how much a bowl cost. 250 Dinars was the answer. I then went in and asked about the same bowl. 650 Dinars I was told! Apart from being ripped off everywhere we went Tunisia was really nice. The scenery is breathtaking around the capital, Tunis, where we stayed. On the flight over a passenger had managed to smuggle a chicken through security in his handbaggage. It escaped halfway through the flight and there were people everywhere trying to catch it. It has to be one of the funniest things I have seen at Emirates so far.
On the way to Tunis we stopped at Tripoli to drop off some passengers. The crew sat in the back row while the cleaners were onboard. L-R Hagar (Egypt), Ivana (Serbia) and Grace (Ireland).
The view from my balcony at the hotel.
The hotel's swimming pool.
Hagar, Grace and Me on our first night in Tunsia.
The first day we got 3 taxis to take us around Tunis and show us the sights.
We saw the souks (markets).
In a shop in the souk.
The famous clock in the centre of Tunis.
At an old theatre.
Another theatre.
An old church.
We had lunch in a local restaurant.
The waiters with our food.
I had a traditional Tunisian dish, lamb stew with couscous.
Later that night we went bowling. In this photo you can see Captain Erik (Canada) and Alina (Belorussia) in full swing.
I was worried about my score..... Until I saw Grace's!
Sidi Bou Said is the town we visited the next day.
This is the market street we walked up to get to the reastaurant where we had dinner.
Hagar and Grace with the view from the restaurant in the background.
Ivana, Alina, Michaela (Slovakia), Hagar and Grace at the table.
The crew before we left the hotel for the flight back. I bought a red Fez so I could have a hat like the girls.
A view of Tunis just after takeoff.
It was Hagar's last flight with Emirates so we took a few silly photos in the rear galley.
Hagar had always wanted a wand so I made her one from a straw, a landing card and some plasters. It backfired on me though when she turned Grace into...
A packet of biscuits!

No comments: