Thursday, May 03, 2007

Nairobi

Kenya was totally different to what I was expecting. I had a picture in my mind of it being just like a safari as soon as we got out of the airport. The land was very green and the only animals I saw were some giraffes on the way to the hotel. Nairobi was very run down. It did have some nice parks though. The highlight of the trip was visiting the Carnivore restaurant. A place I had been told about during training. It is a big meat restaurant and along with serving the normal meats they also serve some other interesting ones. I tried crocodile and ostrich. The crocodile was very salty but I did thing the ostrich was very tasty. I would definately do another Nairobi flight just to go back to Carnivore!
The view from my hotel room.
Looking towards the park from my room.
The Kenyatta Conference Centre Tower.
Carnivore!
The menu.
I was joined in the restaurant by L-R First Officer Nicolas (Belgium), Samantha (South Africa) and Kata (South Africa).
The Dawa Man! Dawa is the Kenyan drink. It is 2 shots of vodka, 3/4 of a lime cut up, sugar and a stick covered in honey. You have to use the stick to squeeze the juice out of the lime. It tastes great!
My dawa.
Kenyan traffic jam on the way back to the airport.
The local airline.
Kenya from the air just after take off.
This was taken about 10 minutes after we left Nairobi.

No comments: